external client using IMAP to access mail server

Hello all,

I am looking for any suggestion about external mail
client using IMAP to access mail server.
Here is what I think about this: In order to allow
external client using IMAP to access mail server. I'll
setup a proxy mail server between Firewall and
Internal Mail Server, so mail client can access from
firewall open port IMAP and point to proxy mail server
then forward to real mail server.
Which Proxy Mail Server should I use? Fetchmail or
SquirrelMail, sendmail, qmail or any others?

Thanks.

-D