War Games

I was lucky to be living in NYC when Stan Veit had his computer shop in
Polk's Hobbies. Needless to say, I haunted his shop to some degree. He had
some Sphere kits, iirc. I decided that Byte was worth buying/subscribing
to when I read the second issue; had skimmed the first.

Anybody remember the ~400 cps tape punches made by Soroban Engineering?

I was born 70 years ago, and feel extremely fortunate to have not only
witnessed the technical developments of this period, but also to have
understood the basic principles on which they operated. When I began as a
kid, octal-based tubes were still new-ish. I inherited old radios...

The MIT Radiation Lab. Series was my lifetime inspiration; I discovered it
in high school. Dover re-published it, and it's on a CD from Artech House,
at something like $330.00. (Lot of work to convert an encyclopedic set of
books to CD for a limited market!) Probably still have the original
hardback Vol. 19 (Waveforms...)

Regards,

--
Nicholas Bodley /\ @ /\  Waltham, Mass.
"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the