i18n

David Hummel wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:35:40PM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
>

>>Ed Hill wrote:

>>>The above, as written, is simply not true.
>>>

>>I didn't see anything to disagree with in Jerry's posting,
>>

>Jerry's statement above is misleading.  It's not really a problem, since
>the user interacts not with the kernel, but with applications.  glibc
>has had support for utf-8 and multi-byte locales for years now (since
>2.2 I believe).

David,

Jerry is entitled to have an opinion, and to be wrong, and so am I, but
words like "not true" and "misleading" have emotional weight that
detracts from any discussion, even one conducted by techies whose
vocabulary includes acronyms like "rtfm".

If Jerry gave incorrect information, step up and refute: that's what
this list if for. Disagreement does not require discourtesy.

Bill

--
E. William Horne
William Warren Consulting