Suggestions on notebook

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 09:57:02 -0500
"James Kramer" <kramerjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the information.  I will help to focus my research efforts. I can
> take a little time to decide, but my Tohsiba Tecra 8100 has lost a key and
> it is becoming increasingly aggravating to type on it.  It appears that I
> would be happy with the HP, Compaq or IBM.  I don't do much gaming although
> I use 3D graphics for modeling so I will select the dedicated memory.  I can
> easily get by with 32 bit, but 64 bits sounds appealing to my inner geek
> side. The price of new notebooks is becoming more affordable so it should be
> fun hunting.  I am certain that soon after I make the purchase, Toshiba will
> come out with their cell processor line of notebooks using graphics drivers
> derived from Playstation 3.
Just a bit about 64-bit vs. 32-bit.
Linux fully supports 64-bits and has for over 10 years.
On the X86-64 processors you have a fully linear memory model.
Applications written for 32-bits will run fine, but will think they are
on a 32-bit processor.
However, there is no guarantee that your system will be faster just
because it is 64-bits. While many applications will run faster on
64-bits, some 32-bit applications may run slower when ported to
64-bits. also note that both AMD and Intel roadmaps show that they will
be producing no 32-bit processors sometime during second quarter this
year. Make sure you check online at one of the Linux laptop sites such
as http://www.linux-laptop.net/ before you buy. Being inside HP, I know
that HP spends quite a bit of money on Linux, but they still make
computers that don't support Linux. personally, my Compaq Presario
laptops have done well and have survived a few droppings.
Again, in your case, go for the better graphics chips and plenty of
memory.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group