Suggestions on notebook

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 03:05:59AM +0000, Jon Masters wrote:
> I like this, because you're both openly extolling the virtues of
> horribly proprietary video drivers as if there's no problem :-)

That's a fair point, I should have mentioned that the official Nvidia driver
is a closed-source binary driver. But there's also the community driver which
while not nearly as good, is Free.

> As a result, it's difficult now to know who to go with. I do know that
> the Ubuntu guys (and others) are more likely to recommend Intel graphics
> (so was claimed at the FOSDEM last week) because support is apparently
> more forthcoming than elsewhere. I admit that I do now own exactly one
> device with an Nvidia graphics chipset, but I'm running the open source
> driver, which can at least be supported on some level by the community.
>
> My point is, next time you get one of these cards or a laptop with a
> graphics chipset in it for which you think there is super supoort, check
> that it's not in the form of a closed source binary only driver and that
> the vendor is actually working to get support into upstream Linux.
>
> If you still don't think I have a point, try telling the Linux kernel
> community about any problems you have with a closed source binary only
> driver and see how far that gets you. It's impossible for the community
> to help you when you use one of these things.

Yep... I guess I should amend my statement to 'ATI and NVIDIA suck (no
official free software drivers), but ATI sucks more (no decent official linux
driver period).'

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -( "Thanks, and THIS time it really is fixed. I mean, how  )-
Virtual hosting -( many times can we get it wrong? At some point, we just  )-