New boot drive for FC_

jbk wrote:
>> I don't want to lose all the customizations but want to experiment
>> with the new 64 bit arch. Have others done this? I typically do not
>> create a seperate "home" partition and was not going to do so this
>> time unless there is an advantage to sharing across architectures. I
>> will have to duplicate samba across the two architectures so that file
>> sharing on the network can remain active.

I realize this is a little late, since you seem to have already figured out
what you need, but for what it's worth:
Should home be it's own partition?  Well, depends if you keep anything
there.  I find that under most circumstances it's far easier to keep home on
a separate partition, thereby making it trivial to share across
installations.  It also provides a safe place to store other things.  For
saving customizations, I usually (as root) tar up /etc (for config files)
and /var (for mail, databases, and various other run-time generated stuff),
and store the tar files on my separate home partition.  That way you save
every possible config file that you might have customized.

Even if you use new-fangled GUI tools to re-create most of your
configuration, there's nothing like having the old actual file for reference
when things aren't working like they used to.

As far as dangerous upgrades of Test releases, you may want to try this:
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html

I recently used that method to upgrade an FC5-test2 install to FC5-test3 via
yum (ie without downloading iso images or running an installer).

--
Matt