A different ssh issue

Jerry Feldman wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 00:47:15 -0500
>Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for reading this: I have solved my previous issue with ssh
>>access, but now I need help with a new issue.
>>
>>My ssh connection works OK from a W2K Putty client to my OpenSSH server
>>when I'm using my LAN, but when I dial up to my ISP and attempt to
>>access the server via dialup, I get an error that says "Network error:
>>connection timed out".
>>

>Please indicate what you mean by "dial up to my ISP".
>Does that mean you dial into your ISP and get a shell connection. If
>so, what OS is the ISP running? (Linux, BSD, HP-UX, Solaris).
>What version of ssh do they have installed.
>
>Is it possible that your ISP has port 22 blocked on output.
>
>One possible solution is to use an alternate port for your ssh
>connection.

I used a DUN connectoid to access speakeasy via the modem pool in
Foxboro, thus simulating an attempt to access my server from a hotel 200
miles away, which is the situation that started all this.

Port 22 isn't blocked: I proved this by doing "telnet
billhorne.homelinux.org 22', and I got an error saying 'no response from
192.168.1.50'.

Sigh.

I then modified my hosts file. It works now.

Bill, who thinks that the memory may be the _third_ thing to go.

--
E. William Horne
William Warren Consulting