RPM 101 question: rpmbuild against CVS-extracted files?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:05:42PM -0500, Don Levey wrote:
> I'm running Fedora Core 4, so I'm RPM-based and I'd like to keep my RPM
> database clean and accurate.  I'm trying to build a package for which
> ready-made RPMs (binary or source) aren't available, nor are source
> tarballs.  What I need seems only available through CVS checkout.  NOTE: I'm
> not a developer, nor do I play one on TV.  I have managed to check out the
> latest CVS files, though.
>
> I've done this, and have run autogen.sh to get to the point where I can
> configure.  From here, what I'd like to do is create RPMs for the main
> and -devel package (in particular, libofx-0.8.1) based upon this source.
> However, I don't know enough about rpmbuild to get this to work correctly.
> Right now it's giving me an error about a non-existent directory; before I
> screw up things any further, does anyone have a pointer on how one can build
> an RPM from the CVS tree?

What you are missing is a recipe for taking the source and
building things from it; this recipe is called a spec file
in RPM-speak.

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/ can help.

-dsr-

--
What's the best thing you could be doing right now? Why aren't you?