Daemon question

I have a program that I want to run in the background from the /etc/init.d
scripts.  I copied another init.d script and modified it, and it runs the app,
but doesn't put it in the background.  The /etc/init.d/myapp script continues
to run.

Isn't that the whole point of the daemon function in functions? To put the
application in the background?

For the record, this is on FC4.

Thanks.