Are there *any* good high-end Linux-friendly PDAs out there?

On Mon, February 6, 2006 9:01 am, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 02:29:01AM -0500, David Kramer wrote:
>> DejaPIM does not sync with Linux, only Windows.  GPE is *very*
>> primitive.  Neither comes with the unit, so they are not supported.
>
> After your e-mail I saw all the windows nonsense about DejaPIM so skipped
> that, and then installed GPE. Indeed, it looks quite basic. But I haven't
> looked much further than installing it.

All I know of it is the few screenshots I've seen online.  I don't need
pretty, but it has to be robust and it has to sync with something under Linux
so I can see my calendar/addresses there.  If you fool around with it and it
has that, then I would certainly consider it.  There isn't enough
documentation for it online to even *guess* it's full feature set.  I would be
very interested in getting your feedback.

>> This is very much not a PDA.  It's very cool, and it has great
>> potential.
>
> I guess that's a matter of definition :) For me, this thing is more like a
> mini version of a linux box, with all the benefits (plenty of 3rd party
> software - don't care about Nokia software support, really), open, standard,
> etc etc.

Well, from Nokia's perspective, they shipped it without an addressbook and
calendar app.   That kinda sums it up for me.

However, you are right in that there are other apps available elsewhere.

Later versions of OpenZaurus have GPE version, though, so if GPE PIM apps are
the best available for the Nokia, I might be better off saving my money and
using them on the Zaurus and get a replacement battery.

>> Ward, thanks for all the great info.  Do you go to the BLU meetings
>> (Sorry, I'm dreadful at associating faces and names)?
>
> I've been to a couple of meetings lately, but I don't think we've met.
>
>> Would you be
>> willing to bring it to a meeting to show me/show it off to the class for
>> Show And Tell?
>
> I'll bring it to the next meeting - hopefully I can make it to the Feb 15
> one.

Excellent.  I'm at pretty much every meeting.  If you come, put it on the desk
in front of you and I'll know who you are ;)