Pay to send email...

On Friday 03 February 2006 11:23 pm, Greg Rundlett wrote:
> Maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut, but there is one way to look at the
> whole SPAM thing that never seems to get any attention.  The large
> software companies make spam because it's good for (their) business.
I think you are a conspiracy nut :-)

> If large companies can't find a way to charge for air, but at the same
> time there is a large demand for air to breath, then perhaps it is
> possible to pollute the air so that people will pay for cleaning the
> air. (or email)
SPAM is really a problem for all Internet Service Providers. While many ISPs
today are large businesses (such as Comcast, Charter, Cox, AOL, Earthlink,
Verizon) they all have issues with SPAM. SPAM takes up considerable
bandwidth, and it is generated by some bulk mailers, but it also gets
replicated through many individual users' systems.

The problem with the AOL solution other than it is a pay-to-send solution is
that it is an AOL-only solution.

Other solutions, like the Earthlink solution are equally unuseful.

I'm not sure that I have a good solution to the problem.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group