Pay to send email...

Anthony Gabrielson wrote:

>Hello,
>	I miss the days when the internet was more fun:
>http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3581301
>
>I can't imagine paying to send email - thats nuts...
>
>Anthony

Anthony,

There are two ways to look at this:

1. It's AOL's attempt to create a "walled garden" for its users, and to
charge an admission fee to anyone not affiliated with Time-Warner.
    If so, the lawyers will be trading briefs within a fews months and
will work it out.

2. This is a de facto admission that the spammers have poluted the
Internet to the point where people are/might be willing to pay extra to
be rid of them.
    Since "Goodmail" - an oxymoron if ever I've seen one - charges "a
fraction of a cent" for each email it allows through, this raises the
ante above the level
    of the average spammer, and assures AOL/Time-Warner that it will now
be dealing only with large media conglomerates that have deep pockets. It
    also means that your ISP will be expected to ante up for each email
you send to an AOL address, and therefore your rates will go up.

I'd bet this is a trial balloon: if other ISP's block AOL-bound email,
then AOL will back off. If they pay up, AOL will raise the rates until
they don't, and back off from there. What it boils down to is that AOL
is betting its user pool is valuable enough that everyone outside the
walled garden will pay to get in: if they've gambled wisely, then it's a
self-fullfilling prophecy and you can expect an ad campaign trumpeting
the lack of spam on AOL. Time will tell.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill

--
E. William Horne