samba help.....

A samba question.

At work we have:
A Linux (libranet) file server running samba.
Windows calls it //FILES
A bunch of windows desktops.
Each user has  a linux username, password,  and samba password
that match their windows accounts
In addition there are some areas accessed in common --
marketing, data, that sort of thing.
This has all worked flawlessly for a couple years.

Recently, I added a linux machine ("dataserver") for heavier data analysis.
(The following works well: run cygwin on the desktop windows box, start X,
ssh to dataserver, "startkde" -- just like being there.)

Dateserver wants to mount the common samba shares, in a way that permits
multiple users to access them.

I had been mounting them just for me via
smbmount //FILES/shorne /shorne -o username=shorne%password
smbmount //FILES/data /data -o username=shorne%password
executed on "dataserver"

but now we have a second (and third) user, and they can't access these areas.
Even though they can via windows.
  So dataserver is acting as a gatekeeper here.
I want dataserver to permit completely open access to these files --
the access control will happen on FILES.

The puzzling thing is that even as root on dataserver,
I can't change the access
control on these files with chmod.  Maybe this is right, and goes back to
my not including enough muttered syllables in the smbmount spells
above.

I want dataserver to mount the files exposed via FILES
and samba without invoking any access control at all.

How do I do that?  (I expect "777" comes into it somewhere...)

                   Thanks,
                        Steve