#!/usr/bin/env

Tom Metro wrote:
> Ed Hill wrote:

>> The portability is just a fact.
>
> What I wanted to know was what makes it portable. Apparently it is due
> to env(1) being ubiquitous and consistently having that path searching
> side effect in the various implementations.

My take on it is this: If you have third-party scripts which you have to
edit because your interpreter is in a different directory, then the next
time they update the script, someone has to know to change that line
again.

If the script uses "env", then it will just work most of the time, and
can be wrapped in a two-line script the rest of the times. but either
way the script does not have to change.