possible hacking?

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 08:49:40AM -0500, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 08:36:07AM -0500, Rich Braun wrote:
> > I also have discovered there is more "security in obscurity" than many experts
> > think. By moving sshd to a high-numbered port (instead of 22) I see no
> > break-in attempts at all on my system--over a period of years--vs the
> > more-typical several dozen per day if you leave port 22 visible.
>
> Yes, same observation here. But this might only be a matter of time.

Yep, when the security environment gets better as a whole,
script-kiddies start using better scripts.  Requires no extra effort on
their part and no better understanding of whats going on.

Which means the approach above is sort of relying on the rest of the
Internet to stay easily hacked. And that is something I'm actually
hoping changes.  :)

speech recognition software may have been used to create this e-mail

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Brandeis

To think contrary to one's era is heroism. But to speak against it is
madness. -- Eugene Ionesco