Rough upgrade to FC4

Bill Mills-Curran wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:06:07PM -0500, Paul Norton wrote:
>>Matthew Gillen wrote:
>>
>>>That's why you're almost always better off using 'yum' instead of
>>>'up2date'.  Yum is smart enough to track down and install dependencies
>>>for you.  I would abandon using up2date unless you're using RedHat
>>>Enterprise Linux (which you're obviously not).
>>
>>I could not agree more Matthew.  Good advice.
>>
>>Yum has always worked very well for me, especially when upgrading from
>>core version to core version.
>
> One question...  Does yum use the same config files as up2date?  I
> believe that I need to convert, but I'm not sure.  I was surprised
> that my FC3 system even used up2date -- I had believed it was all
> converted to yum.

Only in as much as they both probably use the same technique to
determine the current OS version (ie FC3 vs. FC4).  Other that, they
have completely different configurations.  In particular, FC4's version
of yum defaults to mirrors-only configuration (and has much better
all-around defaults for the config).  I think up2date is slated to be
removed from the base install of Fedora at some point.

--Matt