Digital Audio Players for Linux?

Bill Ricker wrote:
> Mention was made the other night of openness/freeness of brands of
> digital audio players. Which current models are Linux-friendly, in terms
> of being able to load podcasts and tracks from a linux system? Act as a
> USB drive?

My previous MP3 player was the fabulous-if-you're geeky iRiver iHP-120,
which is probably the unit that Mad Dog was talking about.  It had more
features than you could ever ask for, but a complicated UI.  Just like I
Like them.  It mounted like a hard drive, and did like three different
codecs, and a built-in FM tuner.

When it died, while still under the "why did I pay for this" extended
warranty from Best Buy, they said that unit wasn't made anymore, and I
could get a credit towards another MP3 player.  Unfortunately, the newer
iRiver models are DRM'ed up the wazoo, and cannot mount like a hard
drive.  Very few on the market still do, or at least ones that had the
other features I needed.

I ended up getting a Creative Zen Touch 40GB.  It does not mount like a
hard drive.  However, there are several Linux programs that can talk to
it, most of which are excellent.  I use gnomad2, which lets me search
and sort, build playlists, transfer MP3s and other files, and edit the
MP3 tag data.  Its default screen is a two-pane window with your local
system on the left and the MP3 player on the right.  Very easy to use.

There's very little I miss by having to use this program over mounting
like a hard drive, especially since I keep a copy of gnomad2 on my thumb
drive, if I ever needed to access it from a different machine.

I'm almost completely happy with the unit,  The only downside of it is
that they tried to be a little too ipod-like, and there's a slide
control that's touch-sensitive like the ipod wheel, but doesn't work
nearly as well.  Not a major problem, though.