Twin-pane file managers

dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
>> Well, I'm not partisan about the two choices. For now, I'm running
>> Libranet 3.0 on a trailing-edge machine (Deskpro 4K, 233 MHz P II,
>> 128MB/40GB.) Gnome apps seem to run faster, but KDE seems perhaps to be
>> better integrated, and generally looks nicer. KDE also seems to eat CPU

I hear you pain -- for some time I had only old Dell with the early Pentium
(yes, the one with a bug! Linux did not mind, just applied some workaround)
and 64MB RAM. Then it was plain Sawfish (no, no Gnome, no KDE, no
WindowMaker, nothing). Needless to say, that immediately when I was able to
buy additional memory and when my computer hit 128MB RAM, I switched back
to KDE and I am happy camper ever since.

>> cycles; the bouncing squashing icon on starting an app. isn't much fun
>> past, say, 15 seconds or so. While KDE's graphic designers were clueless
>> about the graceful shape of a real gear tooth, the GNOME footprint struck
>> me as ugly. In all, I think of it as a healthy competition.

There has been (since some 3.4.*) really minimalistic splash screen
("simple").

Matej

A day without sunshine is like night.