Comcast email bounces

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 11:05 am, John Chambers wrote:
> Starting Saturday, my wife (Shelley) started seeing a lot of email to
> comcast  customers  bounce  back  with  a message saying that we were
> abusers. Our ISP is speakeasy, and she managed to talk to a CS person
> on  Sunday  who told her that comcast had been doing to this to email
> coming via at least one of speakeasy's servers, but not all of  them.
> I  verified  that  the  comcast  message headers identify a speakeasy
> server address as the abuser, not our address.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas about a workaround until it gets
> fixed?   The  speakeasy  people  don't  seem  to  know of any.  Their
> suggestion is to keep trying until you  get  a  server  that  comcast
> isn't blocking.  I did a bit of digging to get some better ideas, but
> it seems that speakeasy only  advertises  mx.speakeasy.net  as  their
> mail server, with some hidden magic parceling out the messages to the
> real servers.  This doesn't seem to provide an obvious way  to  avoid
> the problem.
Without additional information, I can't really comment. Some ISPs block
email from some ISP's served addresses. I initially solved that by setting
up a relay-host. So, if you are using an MTA on your system, your system's
IP address may be in the block of IP addresses that Speakeasy (or Verizon)
requests to be blocked. If you are using a relay-host or using Speakeasy as
your SMTP host, then the issue is much different.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group