The never-ending upgrade: RAID problem/question

Derek wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> /etc/mdadm.conf file:
>>
>> # mdadm.conf written out by anaconda
>> DEVICE partitions
>> MAILADDR root
>> ARRAY /dev/md3 level=raid1 num-devices=2
>> uuid=1d85d30a:0e76aa12:3d0f1ebd:1df6ad15
>> ARRAY /dev/md2 level=raid1 num-devices=2
>> uuid=89ab5084:b8d7c8e6:a7d80406:ebcc7482
>> ARRAY /dev/md4 level=raid1 num-devices=2
>> uuid=9057f97a:b9502b33:79662356:951c6033
>> ARRAY /dev/md5 level=raid1 num-devices=2
>> uuid=7d7e06d3:95dd40a2:ff4a20d4:6ffedb48
>> ARRAY /dev/md1 super-minor=1
>> ARRAY /dev/md0 super-minor=0
>> ARRAY /dev/md6 level=raid1 num-devices=2
>> uuid=5d252297:7c1a6bbe:03a8a685:59d3af95
>>
>> Note that the two lines for the original RAID don't seem to hold the
>> correct config information.  Is this something I could manually edit
>> (minus the uuid), or will mdadm -add do it for me?
>
> I don't know the answer to your second question.  I haven't messed
> around enough with mdadm control of raid devices.  All my previous
> testing was with raidtools.  At some point I'll try to test the
> mdadm stuff when I can blow away some machines safely.
>
> -derek

I've looked at the mdadm.conf file again, and I see no difference after
adding the partitions again.  It's still in "recovery" mode, and I haven't
been through a reboot, so I don't know if that will be dynamic.

By the way - I don't know if anyone else is as paranoid as I am (or as
messy).  Were I the organised sort, I'd have a configuration book with
neatly printed charts of all my settings, notes on what I've done, etc,
including the partition information on each drive in case I need to replace
a drive in the RAID.  But I'm perpetually messy and disorganised.
Therefore, I've just printed up "fdisk -l" for this system, and taped it to
the inside cover of the server.  That way, if a drive goes down, I can have
the partition information to reconstruct a new one right away (without
having to think about how I could get it easily - "...what was that command
again?").

 -Don