SMB backup of XP share over network

jbk wrote:
> I use a script utilizing the smb protocol to backup a WinXP drive on the
> network.

I believe you'll find that rsync works more efficiently for that. I use
cwRsync:

http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=6

which is a Win32 port that bundles rsync, SSH, and a minimal Cygwin
runtime. I find it works best if you run rsync as a service (daemon) on
the Windows boxes and drive the backups from the (more reliable) Linux side.

> The share that I access is the C$ share and this has worked for
> years on my NT and 2000 machines. It doesn't work on my XP laptop.
> ...what security setting do I change?

I'd say make sure you are accessing the XP machine as an administrator,
but I seem to recall reading that they tightened up the security in XP
and no longer expose the administrative C$ share by default (as you've
observed), but I don't recall what you do to restore that functionality.
It shouldn't be hard for Google to find.

You ought to be able to manually share the entire C drive, if you wish
to do that, though perhaps you might need to use a different share name.
You also might need to change the file sharing mode used by XP (uncheck
"use simple file sharing" (Explorer: Tools -> Folder options... -> View).

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA