Happy 2006! and embedded linux?

Happy new year to all BLU!

Looks like this may be the year of embeddedment for me. I've been given
a very cool bread board consisting of a Xilinx Virtex 4 FPGA. What makes
this bread board so cool is that the Virtex 4 has an "built in" PPC cpu
which means that I can, in theory, boot Linux and log into the chip via
ssh. (Well, I guess if I log into any PC, I'm actually logging into its
CPU, sort of...) So I'm doing the google thing looking for embedded
Linux solutions which will work with this bread board and so far the
only thing I've found is Monta Vista. (www.mvista.com)

Does anyone have any experience with embedded Linux and can give me a
hint as to where to find a good on line resource on this topic?

Thanks!