Disk Recovery Part III

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Rich Braun <richb at pioneer.ci.net>:
>
>> blu at scrunch.net (Bob BLU) wrote:
>>
>>> Skip LVM for your simple home/office machine, not worth the trouble.
>>

>> Could you elaborate?  What do you mean trouble?  The tools are quite
>> trivial
>> to use, I've had no difficulties or problems in the years I've used it
>> (under
>> AIX or Linux).
>

> Okay..  My physical disk just changed from 40GB to 80GB.  What simple tools
> can I use to tell LVM to increase my root partition size to use the new
> space available?  When /I/ tried it, it was a royal pain is the tuchus
> to do this.  It took me an hour, whereas doing this with a raw partitions
> and qt_parted took minutes.

Derek,
It's not clear to me what you're talking about.  What do you mean your
physical disk "just changed" from 40GB to 80GB?  If the 80GB is a new
disk, why not re-do the partitioning and re-create the LVM according to
the new size?  If there is only one disk and the extra 40GB is from some
other partition on the same disk (that just got re-claimed from some
other OS), why not treat that partition as a *new* physical device?   I
can't see why you would ever want to re-size a physical device.  There's
nothing wrong with having a LogicalVolume that has two partitions from
the same disk as physical devices.

--Matt