Disk Recovery Part III

> Where would I actually contemplate striping?  In a data center application
> where rotational latency and drive throughput of a single drive are too
> low to
> meet the performance requirements.  In that case we're not talking about
> two-drive setups on motherboard IDE controllers.
>
> -rich

I do my RAID & LVM at the partition level.  So, for critical filesystems I
put together a mirrored rootvg and stuff it all there.  /boot & swap
remain normal  mirrored partitions (not LVM).  Then for my giant tmp space
(used for redendering cinelerra output) I concatinate/stripe 2 partitions
to get "some" better trough put and make better use of my disk space.  If
the data is lost, it matters not ... it's a giant tmp space after all.
That's one application where it works...

If you do backups, a raid0 is also a great for things like your movie/mp3
collection (MythTV storage).

- cd