Posix Threads & Windows

Take a look at the GNU project 'CommonC++', it is a cross platform
library providing a lot of abstraction for threading, networking, and
serial interfaces. If you can use C++ in your project, it might work
well for you. I have no experience with its Windows support, only the
Linux side. The API is pretty clean too.

Of course, if its a GPL'd application, or you can afford it, there's
also Qt 4.0, which has all that stuff and is now modular, so you
don't need all the widget stuff rolled in if you are just doing
console work.

-Josh