802.11g  signal strength; gigE

Make sure you research which of these alternate firmwares support WRT54Gv4

When I did the research recently, DDWRT was the only one that supported v4.
That might not be the case anymore but it was a month or 2 ago.
http://www.dd-wrt.org/

Also, if you do choose DDWRT, make sure you read the site for a bit. I believe
you need the 'mini' firmware due to some memory constraints. Anyway, do the
research. I got the image to work but the documentation is pretty mediocre.

I managed to 'brick' my router for a bit until I learned how to short out the
flash with a screwdriver...anyway, be careful with the alternate firmwares. I
love DDWRT but it can be a learning experience.