[OT]802.11g signal strength

Jerry Feldman wrote:

>  My friend just bought a Linksys 802.11g router for his condo along
>  with a new laptop [...] If the signal strength is still somewhat
>  weak, I was wondering if one of the remote signal boosters might help
>  (I probably wont need this).

Before popping for another piece of equipment, I'd try using some of the
higher-gain antennas that fit the Linksys. They're about $45 with the
Linksys brand
(http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416829416&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper),
but you can find others cheaper. The antenna stands
(http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416829262&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper)
allow you to place the antennas away from the base unit by an additional
six feet without running power or cat 5, so it's a decent aesthetic
solution.

My favorite solution, depending on the specific Linksys device you use,
is some of the alternative Linux-based software that expands the
capabilities. I use Sveasoft (www.sveasoft.com) but there are others.
Using this firmware, out of the box, I can do the following on my
Linksys WRT-54GS:

- SSH
- QoS
- syslog (send log to syslogd on linux server)
- boost power from default 24mw to 250mw (though pracical range is
lower, I use 48mw)
- WDS mesh (allowing me to use cheap linksys routers as repeater rather
than fancy "extenders")

With a boost in power to 48mw + the 7dBi antennae, my bookshelf-top
mounted router in the basement is serving up to the second floor with
good coverage. I use a 2nd WRT-54g (cheaper unit) as a repeater to cover
some dead areas.

- Bob