Verizon FiOS

Steve Seremeth wrote:
> Except that they block port 80 (and who knows what else).  I have been
> waiting for the business service for a while...

Not a good sign.

Determining whether they block ports on the dynamic-IP business offering
will be a critical question, then. It'd be nice to be able to look at
the contract to see what the fine print says. It'd be rather
inconvenient if they didn't block ports during the 30-day eval period,
but then decided to start blocking ports several months into a 1 year
contract.

Port blocking aside, the other potential problem with the dynamic-IP
business offering will be outbound mail if that IP block gets flagged on
a blacklist as a dynamic range. Chances of that happening will be high
if they use the same IP ranges for both residential and business service.

> Too bad it doesn't come with any type of SLA.

The only reasonably low-cost offering I've seen with an SLA is SDSL. For
example, Covad's ($150+ for decent speeds):

http://dsl.covad.com/products/dsl/telespeed/index.shtml

And their dedicated line offering:

http://dsl.covad.com/products/dsl/telesoho_dedicated/index.shtml

has a "36 hour time to repair service level agreement."

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA