[blu] Re: Voip teleophony - Anyone know Packet-8 or others?

On Monday 12 December 2005 10:20 am, Ben Jackson wrote:
> Honestly, I hear everyone say this about Comcast, and it just shows
> how amazing the power of suggestion is to people. Comcast uses 64Kbps
> mu-law companding just like everyone else on the PSTN, Unless you are
> living out somewhere waaaaaaayyyy out in the sticks, you're going to get
> something identical on Verizon.
Not in my house. When I had Verizon, at times, my line was nearly unusable.
I live about a half mile from the Boston/Newton city line, so I am not out
in the sticks.
Comcast Digital Phone is simply POTS that uses the Comcast cable at the pole
to the Comcast head end. From there is standard telephone.

Additionally, as I mentioned, Comcast's VOIP is a bit better than other
VOIPs in that the connection to the phone network is within Comcast's
system, and never goes out on the public Internet.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group