[blu] Re: Voip teleophony - Anyone know Packet-8 or others?

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> On Sunday 11 December 2005 4:09 pm, Jeff Kinz wrote:
>
> > We're getting ready to switch to VOIP over Comcast cable.
> >
> > We are currently looking at packet8 as a VOIP provider and I was
> > wondering if anyone had any recommendations for providers?
> >
> > Also has anyone had problems using VOIP over Comcast cable?  (there are
> > some posts on the web that suggest that Comcast may be blocking or
> > at least interfering with non-Comcast-over-IP telephony services.)

> While I have not been using VOIP, I've been using Comcast Digital Phone that
> uses the Comcast infrastructure in a similar manner to regular phone. Since
> I switched to this, my connection and clarity has been very good (much
> better than Verizon).

Honestly, I hear everyone say this about Comcast, and it just shows
how amazing the power of suggestion is to people. Comcast uses 64Kbps
mu-law companding just like everyone else on the PSTN, Unless you are
living out somewhere waaaaaaayyyy out in the sticks, you're going to get
something identical on Verizon.

I've played with Comcast Digital Phone, and it sounds the same as my
copper loop. I have an ear for phone systems as well, so I consider myself
pretty good at discerning differences. :)

As to address the original topic, I highly recommend Vonage for
consumer-grade VoIP. Large infrastructure, good support, and cheap rates.
I've also played with BroadVoice and VoicePulse, who I have also not had a
problem with.

HOWEVER, stay away from Packet-8. I have heard horror stories of downtime
and billing issues. It seems that if you sign up with their unlimited
residential plan, and you seem to be using more minutes then what they
deem "appropriate" for residential use, they'll flip you over to a more
expensive commercial plan without telling you. They suck. I've refused to
use them.

				~Ben

--
/"\  Ben Jackson