Job searching ...Computer Operations?

dsr at tao.merseine.nu recommended thus:
> If you've got lots of experience at tech support and you enjoy
> it, I would strongly advise you to look for another job in that
> field, and take classes aimed more at systems administration.

After a few too many 4am mornings and 3am nights, sometimes run together, and
after a few too many years strung together without meaningful vacations, I ran
smack up against globalization in the form of hypercompetitiveness:  if you
weren't reachable 24/7, you couldn't enable your firm to compete, and
eventually either you found different work or your company fell by the
wayside.

It's gotten worse the past couple of years.

So I checked out of all that and don't really see myself ever doing sys admin
again unless some employer is willing to meet my terms:  no more than
40hr/week, no more than 46wk/yr.  I think you'd have to look on another planet
to find a job like that.  But professors, school teachers and seasonal workers
in a variety of blue-collar fields have the hours I want.  Any chance the
computer profession could yield up opportunity for those of us who yearn to
travel and to sleep normally at night, without having to climb corporate
ladders and without necessarily chasing the big bucks?

What I'd love is a job that pays $60/hr and lets me work about 1000 hours a
year instead of 2000+.

-rich