Getting further OT was Re: Video Server

Rich Braun wrote:
> Any chance there will ever be a standard for tagging video frames with timing
> marks  to match similar timing marks in an audio stream?  It doesn't seem like
> a hard technical problem.  It drives me nuts watching WCVB-DT or one of the
> other digital channels and seeing the mouths move several hundred milliseconds
> out-of-sync with the audio.

There are standards (e.g. SMPTE timecode) but I'm not sure about what
consumer equipment uses them.  It could very well be that your problem
has to do with a slow CPU or poorly design system rather than the lack
of standard.  What are you using to watch tv?  Is it on a PC or via a
cable box?

SMPTE
http://www.smpte.org