Video Server

Cole Tuininga wrote:
> Just to show off a little bit of my hardware ignorance here...
>
> I'm looking to do just a portion of what MythTV does.  Namely, I have
> video that I'd like to push out to my TV (I don't necessarily need to
> record from cable).  I have a whole bunch of the original Doctor Who
> series as MPGs/AVIs that I'd rather watch on TV than on the PC.  8)
>
> What do I need in order to accomplish this?  Any specific
> recommendations on make/model of hardware?

Just having a video-out (usually an S-Video connector) from your video
card is enough.  Most NVidia and ATI cards have an S-video out, and most
TV's have an S-video in.

> Also, once I have the hardware set up, how do I output to the TV?  Will
> I be able to do it with the usual suspects (xine, mplayer, etc)?
Depends on your video card.  You should be able to use the usual
suspects but send their output to a different device (card-specific)

--Matt