Setting up SMTP AUTH

"Ilane Walberg" <iwalberg at airvananet.com> asked:
> Earthlink is now using SMTP AUTH and with no Linux support, claims if
> I just set my outgoing server to their new one, that "everything will
> be all right".  I did and it wasn't.
> If I still need sendmail, where should I look for a howto on setting up
> SMTP AUTH?

I use mailhop service from DynDNS.  They have some configuration suggestions
at their support site, a direct link is here:
 http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/archives/using_mailhop_outbound.html

Key among those suggestions:  do not attempt to configure sendmail.  You can
find help there or among BLU contributors for exim or postfix, use one of
those instead if you can't make pine work.  It's actually pretty easy to
configure either of those for SMTP AUTH.

Also if you get ambitious, consider replacing pine with Squirrelmail.  I was
clinging to elm (pine's predecessor) for years but wanted to be able to view
those html messages with images that I get with increasing frequency.  What I
like about Squirrelmail is that the user interface is basically that of pine,
you won't be missing out on any of your favorite features.  (One note--instead
of ssh, you remotely access Squirrelmail via https on whatever port you
designate in your apache config.  So you do have to get apache up and running,
compiled with https support unless you only want to see your mail at home or
are willing to run it plain-text over the net.)

-rich