saving money by moving my mail/Web server out of my basement?

For a few years, I've had a Speakeasy account with static IP, so I can
serve everything ropine.com-related out of machines in my basement.

After going over our household budget, I'm wondering if there's an
alternative that will still give me broad control over my Web site and
email (e.g., if I want a certain Apache module installed, I can do it)
but will cost less than $70/month.  Since basic DSL[*] from Verizon is
$15/month, that means I'm looking for some kind of hosting that costs
$50/month or less.

For $20/month, I can get an account at OpenHosting.com and use up to 2
GB of disk space and 20 GB of bandwidth (the base OS and the packages
that they've already installed don't count against the disk quota).
Does anyone have any comment on this service?  Can anyone recommend
other services with similar price ranges?

What are the advantages to me keeping physical control over my server?
When I was laid off a couple of years ago, I would tell people who
interviewed me for work, "see, that page with my resume is being served
out of a machine that I personally administer."  Of course, I have no
idea if that made them more likely to hire me.

[*]Since we hardly watch any TV, we don't have cable, so there doesn't
seem much point to getting a cable modem...