OT Re: Cell phone opinions/options

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> On Monday 28 November 2005 11:17 am, Gordon Marx wrote:
> > On 28/11/05, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> > > installing more antenae in the Boston area. My cell phone used to work
> > > in the office at Hp/Littleton and I get 3 bars at my desk in
> > > Marlborough.
> >
> > I get f-all for service at my desk in Marlborough, and I also have
> > Cingular. Could it be more phone-dependent rather than
> > network-dependent? Are there phones that can tolerate lower signal
> > strength better?
> I have a Treo650, but I don't think there should be too much difference per
> phone. Our building is built in to the side of a hill, and I am on the 3rd
> floor. We have windows at one end and labs at the other end facing the
> hill. So, it may be the location of your building WRT the cell tower, or
> the construction of the building.

As a present Verizon Wireless subscriber with a year to go on my contract,
my office in downtown Boston (until June 2006 when my contract employment
is up), I'm on the sixth floor with a large window overlooking Logan
Airport.  My older Motorola 270c holds a signal really well (even better
when the antenna is raised).  From the exact same spot in my office, my
newer LG VX6100 phone is really good at not holding a signal and
repeatedly dropping calls.   Many other VX6100 owners have all complained
of this, too.

So yes, even with a rich network, the phone can absolutely be the limiting
factor, no matter the age.

Scott