Burning SUSE 10 DBD

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 01:21:23 -0500
David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to duplicate a SUSE 10 DVD using my SUSE 9.3 box.  No, I don't want
> to copy it to my hard drive and do a network install.  I want the DVD.
>
> K3B insists that my Plextor PX-716A drive won't burn Dual Layer, when I know
> for a fact it can.  Some googling found pages grumbling about that drive's
> firmware not implementing the API right or some such.  Tried upgrading the
> firmware using pxupdate, but pxupdate doesn't see the drive (!!!).
>
> I tried using dd to make an image of the disk, then using growisofs to burn
> it, and that sorta worked, in that all the files are there, but the disk isn't
> bootable.  I think it was growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvdrecorder=usse10.iso
>
> I tried xcdroast, but the xcdroast that comes with SUSE is crippled.  I
> downloaded cdrecord-prodvd and put it in the xcdroast/bin director as
> cdrecord.prodvd, but xcdroast never asks me for the security key (that area of
> the setup screen is greyed out).  When I tell it to read the the DVD, it says
> there's no CD loaded in the read device.
>
> What else can I try?
cdrecord-dvd
cdrdao
Both K3b and Xcdroast are simply GUI layers on one of the above.

There is also a command, cd-drive that will tell you what it thinks
about your DVD recorder:
cd-drive version 0.75 i686-suse-linux
Copyright (c) 2003, 2004, 2005 R. Bernstein
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
The driver selected is GNU/Linux
The default device for this driver is /dev/cdrom

Drivers available...
  GNU/Linux ioctl and MMC driver
  cdrdao (TOC) disk image driver
  bin/cuesheet disk image driver
  Nero NRG disk image driver

CD-ROM drive supports MMC 3

                       Drive: /dev/cdrom
Vendor                      : TSSTcorp
Model                       : CD/DVDW TS-H552U
Revision                    : US03
Profile List Feature
        DVD+R Double Layer - DVD Recordable Double Layer
        DVD+R - DVD Recordable
        DVD+RW - DVD ReWritable
        Re-recordable DVD using Sequential recording
        Re-recordable DVD using Restricted Overwrite
        Re-recordable DVD using Sequential recording
        Read only DVD
        CD-RW Re-writable Compact Disc capable
        Write once Compact Disc capable
I've been successful with K3b, and I was unable to make the copy
because I did not have a DVD+R media.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group