can't cleanly log out of ssh

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 12:14 -0500, Josh ChaitinPollak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've got this server at work, just one server, which whenever I log
> out from ssh'ing into, my terminal hangs, and I have to close the
> window and start a new one. For the life of me I can't figure out why
> that system, and only that one, does it.

This can be caused by two main things that I can think of.

1) The remote shell doesn't want to exit.  This can happen especially if
you have a backgrounded job that's still attached to the terminal.

2) If there is something else still using the connection.  For instance,
if you ssh -X (enable X forwarding) to a remote server, and then kick
off a gvim to display locally, that window won't close cleanly until the
gvim is closed as well.

HTH.

--
So, make a real effort to avoid getting sucked into all the expensive
lifestyle habits of typical Americans.  Because if you do that, then

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com