PW management (was Re: break-in attempts)

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 01:28:21PM -0500, Rich Braun wrote:
> Alright, I'll bite.  Conventional wisdom on single-factor authentication has
> been brought up at least twice in this thread:
>
> 1) Use a different password for each account.
> 2) Wherever possible, use an encrypted key instead of plain text password.
>
> This strikes me as completely impractical for anyone who uses the web or has
> multiple logins anywhere.

These are different problems: anything web-based should be
assumed to be relatively insecure anyway.

Nevertheless, there's a decent approach that handles both: use a
system.

Here's a good system: use song lyrics from a relatively obscure
band -- not the Beatles, not your all-time-favorite band that
you obsessively promote to everyone you meet, but a band that
you like and remember the lyrics for many of their songs.

Let's say a significant line in the song is "I often thought how
proud I'd be in a boat like Gideon Brown". Take the initials:

IothpIbiablGB

that's a great password there, and you have a built-in mnemonic.

But wait, there's more.

Pick one of these solely for low-security accounts. Then append
or prepend the name of the service to it:

gmailIothpIbiablGB

or

IothpIbiablGBhotmail

Voila! instant high-quality password for a low-security account.

The key to maintaining the security is to rotate the whole set
every so often, or if you ever suspect that one of a set of
passwords is compromised, treat the whole set as in need of
replacement.

And use a different song for each high-security account, please.

-dsr-