Kernel version 2.6 -- RAID performance woes?

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:15 -0500, Rich Braun wrote:
> So my question is what to do about this:  is there a version 2.6 kernel with
> stable software RAID performance that I could revert to, or do I have to go
> all the way back to 2.4?  Where do I look online these days for technical
> discussions of software RAID in the 2.6 kernel?

We have a dozen or so RAID NFS file servers running various 2.6 kernels
(Fedora Core 2,3,4).  We have occasional glitches but most of the
machines are quite stable.  And the performance with XFS is good (its
NFS that kills performance, not the local file system).

So, have you researched driver/hw issues?  You might have a low-quality
IDE chipset and/or a crummy driver for that chipset.  PCI ATA and SATA
cards are very cheap (<$50) so you can easily try others.  And your
experience with just one machine is hardly representative of the entire
2.6 kernel.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD