laptop recommendations

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 12:09 pm, Kalyan Vaidyanathan wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am looking to buy a laptop that can be reasonably used as a dev
> machine. I'm thinking atleast 1GB RAM and 80 GB hard disk.  Now
> questions: 1. Any recommended brands that are better and more resilient
> for dev use and longer lasting battery life
I would probably recommend Thinkpad, HP/Compaq Presario, or some of the HP
Pavilion laptops. HP does certify some of their laptops for Linux. I do not
recommend Gateway. Some Dell laptops run fine with Linux.
Bottom line is Thinkpad or HP or Dell - look at price/performance/support.
My personal experience is that phone support from all of the above vendors
suck, and you are likely to get offshore support. Note that in many cases,
some of the local computer stores have some sales w/rebates that beat
online process. (Note that I have a lot of good experience with some HP
laptops. My boss seems to need to get a new one every year). My 5-year old
Presario generally goes to Linux meetings, is used for presentations at
Northeastern, on trips, at work, and has fallen off tables. The only
problem is that when it fell of a table it was plugged into the AC adaptor
so I now use a rubber band.
> 2. Any preferences for Intel vs AMD chips.
AMD 64-bit chips are faster than the Intel EM64T chips today and probably
will maintain that lead for about a year, maybe longer.

I can probably get you a list of HP laptop model numbers that are certified
for Linux.

Note that for development, you get many more tools for free on Linux than on
other systems.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group