[Fwd: Open Document Format]

Subject: Open Document Format
From:    markw at mohawksoft.com
Date:    Wed, October 26, 2005 1:26 pm
To:      cis at sec.state.ma.us

                       Mark L. Woodward
                        80 Clapp Street
                        Milton, MA 02186

Dear Mr. Galvin

I understand you are opposed to Massachusetts adopting open document
formats. I think this position is one that is poorly considered.
Personally, I can't understand why an open document format requirement has
not come sooner. Massachusetts is one of the technology leaders in the
country and should do better.

On the )B?pro open format? side of the argument, we have the assurance that
public documents remain accessible. We laws like the DMCA which may make
it illegal to read documents with the use of a reverse engineered document
reader. This alone may make it illegal to read public documents, the end
result being that the state does not own its own data.

There is no real argument for proprietary formats. Cost? this is not a
factor as there are multiple options for very capable office packages that
do support the open standards that are free or reasonably priced.
Compatibility? proprietary formats are designed to reduce compatibility.
HTML is a great example of how open document formats make software vendors
irrelevant, reduce cost, and ensure access to information.

I have working in the software industry for a long time, and I have seen
too many times when Microsoft has used its money and influence to alter
public policy to the detriment of the public good. Do not cave to these
criminals. Open document formats are important, today in 2005 and in the
future.

Also, this message was composed on OpenOffice.org 2.0. An office package
that supports OpenDocument format, costs nothing, and is publicly
available.

Mark L. Woodward