External Monitor on laptop

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:42:25 -0400
jbk <jbk at mail2.gis.net> wrote:

> I have been fiddling around with my configuration both grub
> and the GUI Xconfig that comes with gnome.
>
> The components:
> Monitor: KDS XF70  a 17" flat screen
> Card:    ATI Mach64
>
> Toshiba laptop with 800x600 lcd
>
> Problem #1
>
> The grub boot splash image panics the kernel when the
> external monitor is connected.
>
> I commented this and hiddmenu out in grub. This allows me to
>   boot but none of the grub options or menu are displayed.
>
> After booting and logging in at the default 800x600
> resolution I have to edit the xconfig with the gnome
> utility. The monitor is recognized as a KDS and I select the
>   XF70 option. I logout and in again and then I can set a
> higher resolution with another gnome utility.
>
> Problem #2
>
> I now have an xorg.conf that is not compatible with the
> default monitor. So I have to maually restore the orginal
> configuration.
>
> So, does anyone have ideas on making this a more plug and
> play process?
Your problems are with Fedora and not GRUB per se.
You can configure your x.org to handle multiple resolutions that you
can switch to using the ctrl/alt/+ (or ctrl/alt/-).

Another way is that you can use multiple profiles. Not sure how to do
this on Fedora since I am a SuSE user.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group