UNIX/scripting/programming courses?

# 1 - Don't send html to a Linux mailing list.

gmail (Google Mail):
Select "Compose Mail"
underneath the "To:" and "Subject" windows, and just above the Window
for entering the text of your email, is a formatting toolbar.

In the toolbar, select the "Plain text" option. This option will remain
selected between logins to Gmail. (Gmail will remember this selection
when you login next time)

If your formatting toolbar for the email text windows just reads "Rich
formatting" on the left and "Check Spelling" on the right, then you are
already in plain text mode.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:47:31AM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> As I look to augment my career, I'm looking into certificate courses that
> offer some basic-to-advanced UNIX courses, along with an introduction to
> shell and perl scripting, with maybe an introduction to C/Java/C++
> programming.
>
> I found Northeastern at night (Lowell Institute School) has a certificate
> program which includes C++, but C++ has prereqs of a couple C courses. This
> is an option.

I hear two different goals here:  C/C++ programming and shell scripting.

These are distinct and very different from one another.

C/C++ is harder but will help you immensely as a senior admin.  It is not
needed by junior admins. (But it certainly doesn't hurt)

> BU's Corporate Education Center also has a Linux/UNIX cert in the 5-day
> format. I'd prefer an evening/weekend format, though.

Avoid these 5 day courses unless you have money to burn. These 5 day
sessions simply do not have the time needed to properly absorb and
understand the material. They can work as a refresher for people who
already know a lot of the material and are just rusty.

Look for the standard 1 semester courses that meet at night and
assign real homework.  Typically this is only done when the course
issues real academic credit for completing the course.

I distinctly recommend Lowell (U-Mass) night courses over any of the
Continuing Ed courses such as those taught at night by Northeastern.

I've tried both and over the years found that the rigor and completeness
found only in the "real college" courses is immensely more valuable than
the lightweight approach typified by what I experienced in "Northeast at
night".  Sorry if this offends anyone at/from Northeastern but I'm only
talking about their Adult-night-time courses, not the real college work.