A new Linux recommendation

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> Is there a really good, complete, workable Linux distro that can be
> downloaded ?
>
> Recommendations, pros/cons, what ever, I want to hear.
>
> Before I start down the road, Umbuto, Gentoo, Slack, SuSE, Mandriva, RHEL,
> CentOS, etc, etc. Some personal experiences will be very helpful.

A little late to the party, but I'd like to throw another distro into
the ring. I've had excellent luck with the Xandros distro, especially
when it comes to integrating it with a Windows network, and perhaps
even sharing a Windows machine.  Upon installation, it seamlessly
integrated into my network, found all the Windows partitions on the
machine and mounted them, and otherwise installed flawlessly.

It also has a very nice updating mechanism (based upon Debian, I think).
They have an "OC" version that is free, and then a couple of higher
cost options that can include things like CrossWeaver for running
Windows apps.

I have a weird, handbuilt machine that many distros can't handle,
including BSDen, and Xandros went on without a hitch.

http://www.xandros.com/

--
Jonathan Arnold               (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Jiggle The Handle, a personal blog    http://jiggle.anaze.us

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
  - Don Marquis