[Fwd: The $100 laptop closer to reality]

<quote who="John Chambers" date="Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 05:10:53PM +0000">
> One thing I  haven't  seen  or  read  about:  Laptop  graphics,  like
> desktop, usually require a mouse or some equivalent point/click input
> mechanism. There isn't any such thing visible in these pictures. What
> looks  like  a  trackpad  is shown as a handwritten input device, but
> maybe it could function as  a  trackpad.   I  suppose  some  keyboard
> buttons  could  be  mapped to the "mouse" buttons.  Anyone know about
> this?

There are a number of options for pointing devices being pursued. In
those design pictures, the laptop acted as a tablet and IIRC also had
a little trackpad at the bottom.

> Actual specs on this gadget don't seem to be visible anywhere. Google
> find a lots of press-release sort of pages, but no specs. Anyone know
> where to find actual information?

There are no released specifications yet as a number of discussions
about what will go into the machine are still ongoing. Those picturse
are the first released version of the design. There will be future
(read, better) interations RSN as the machines matures and the
designed is finalized.

Regards,
Mako

--