stupid keyboard question

Hey list:

So I now own a Dell Latitude D610 laptop. I have a funky keyboard issue.

In my tty consoles, my key mapping is perfect. My real problem is in KDE,
with the )B?/? key, which may look funny in your mailer. Somehow my
apostrophe / quote key generates a character other than the one that bash
interprets as a single or double quote, and therefore, any bash commands I
type involving commands with quotes aren)B?t properly interpreted.

I)B?m using KDE 3.4.2, built from source with xorg 6.8.2.

I think my problems are either in my xorg.conf or in my KDE settings, but
I)B?m really not sure where best to look for my problems. My problems may
also be due to some weirdness involving the Dell laptop keyboard.

I)B?m looking for suggestions for where to begin my search for the solution.
My apostrophe woes aren)B?t limited to konsole, but apply to all
applications run within KDE, and possibly X. I)B?m going to run a non-KDE X
session now to try to determine whether my problem is KDE-specific.

Thanks!

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)