Speakeasy - First Impressions

David Kramer wrote:

>Bill Horne wrote:
>

>[snip]
>.
>

>>* Long wait for install - it took Covad/Verizon two tries to get the
>>  line working, so I had to wait over a month for service after I
>>  placed the order.
>>

>That's Covad/Verizon, not Speakeasy.  Remember, in this three/four-way
>relationship, Speakeasy is depending on their competitors to complete the
>process for them.

True, but I mentioned it in the interest of balance: the fact is that
Speakeasy IS dependent on Covad, and Covad on Verizon, and the user has
to wait for all the ducks to get into a row.

>>Neutral:
>>
>>* Price comparable with Comcast, assuming you don't already have cable
>>  TV and will pay for the minimum "antenna" service that Comcast requires
>>  for data users. If you're paying for Cable TV already, you may or may
>>  not choose to include your cable TV fee as part of the cost of data
>>  service: I had to pay ~12/month for the bottom tier of TV service in
>>  order to get a cable modem.
>>

>Can Comcast deliver a static IP?  Not comparable services.

I was paying ~59/month for cable data, which included a ~12/month charge
for the lowest-tier "TV" service. Speakeasy charges ~56/month for
1.5/384 ADSL with a dynamic IP, and offers a static IP (and dialup
access) at the ~65/month level. So, the prices are comparable for users
who use dynamic IP addresses, assuming the inclusion of the "TV" part of
Comcast's price.

As Ed Frankenberry pointed out, it's a better idea to go with Earthlink
if you choose cable data but don't want to pay for any "tv" service:
something I wish I'd known about.

Long story short: unless you're more than 15Kf from the central office,
I'd recommend Speakeasy ADSL over Comcast cable.

YMMV.

Bill

--
E. William Horne