The $100 laptop closer to reality

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 01:23:42PM -0400, Brendan wrote:
> On Thursday 29 September 2005 01:06 pm, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > of course.... they will get hacked. inevitable.
>
> Can you imagine the poor principals trying to corral this stuff?

Nope. I can't.  'cause they don't.

If a silly kid hacks his ROM image and his PC won't work any more, then
he (Or his best brainy friend) will have to download the correct image
from the web and hack it into his machine to get it back to a sane point
again.

If it still works after he/she has hacked, then so what?

> Jesus, I can't imagine which will be more dangerous in the future, the kid who
> brings in pot or the kid who brings in a hacked ROM with all the answers he
> cracked out of his teachers WiFi access point....

Hacking the test database (or the grades database) is already an issue
whether these devices exist or not.  So it is an important issue but not
really related to this discussion.  Put it on the list for tomorrow..
:)  (personally I think the pot is more dangerous. Bad for the lungs!:)

> > How about all the textbooks on any given subject could be replaced by a
> > choice of five (maybe as many as 10) really well done books on the
> > given subject.  Distribute all of them as e-books (or paper if the
> > student wants to shell $ out.)
>
> How about the updated "versions" they bring out every year?
As E-books, the updated versions are distributed electronically and the
non-profit handles the editorial process with slave labor (Grad
students!)

> It's such a scam as to make me dread buying school textbooks...until ePaper
> becomes a reality I guess.

Seems to be getting closer see "e-ink.com"

> Those other ideas seem good. Working out a viable pay scale for people who
> have knowledge is a good thing, says Martha.

OK, you can be on the board of the non-profit too.   ;-)

(Emeritus-Director-for-life) J. Kinz.

Annual board meeting will be in Aruba, for four weeks in February.
Update your schedule.

--
speech recognition software was used in the composition of this e-mail
??Ya no mas!