The $100 laptop closer to reality

On Thursday 29 September 2005 01:40 pm, Anthony Gabrielson wrote:
> Not at all, but I hope most would aggree that with a computer it is in
> fact easier to learn.  Data is more searchable than a book.  Book indeices

I don't agree at all. That's a big jump there, don't you think?
I have probably 5 thousand ebooks on my computer. I browse one a month, maybe.
I read 15-20 non-work books a month.

> can only be so powerful and the with the interenet it is much easier to
> search an idea.  That is one of googles main points with the online
> library they are building.

"Search" vs. "read". Important distinction.

> I am in fact familiar with the story.  So if his dissabilities started to
> hamper his first year of university its a pretty safe bet to say that he
> would be unable to make his contributions today without a computer.  I
> think this point is getting old.  If you don't agree that a computer is
> required for him today to convery new ideas and read ideas I think your
> just looking to argue...

I have never said this. It would be foolish to say otherwise, so I guess I
thought it to be obvious what point  you're  making.

> I like web forums alot.  I also like home theaters/stereo and my car alot.
> With a web forum I can read an idea figure out quickly if people on the
> forum support the idea then look it up online to verify or get more data

Yep, quick searching is fine...this is what you seem to associate with
"learning", the ability to search quickly and come up with a quick, topical
answer. So yes, sure.
Reading a book on a subject vs. looking up something quickly are really not
the same thing. I know what you are saying though.

> related to that subject.  With all of the research combined I should be
> able to determine the accuracy of that comment.  The result of this is my
> home theater sounds great and I fix my car for less.  I'm happy with that
> outcome.  I think your really missing the essence of my point passing of

You're really killing me here with the "your" and "you're"'s man...My mom was
an English teacher and she pounded that one into me. Most of her lessons may
not have stuck so well, but that one did.

> For instance if on this list someone emails "Linux sucks and windows  is
> more secure" I am certain that would be quickly challenged and brought
> down as a point.  Key idea is pass the idea into a group and let the
> group sort the idea; then you can look up to see what others group feel.

You are belaboring points that seem fairly obvious. I am not saying against
searching web forums...

> I agree that technology is not a silver bullet. It is a more intereactive
> way to learn.  Do you remeber your university experience?  How many of
> your profs didn't speak english?  I had several.  If open courseware had
> been around I could have easily sat in on anther schools version of the
> course when ever I wanted to.  I would have gotten more out of the school,
> if that had been around while I was in school.

I actually have some experience with distance learning...but that's so beside
the point.

I think you are going REALLY far away from the core points...we were talking
about cheap laptops and how they planned to implement them.